Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Chemo Day 1


So Mom started her Chemo treatments today. I haven't posted in a long time as I've just been digesting everything going on with her. The hospital isn't really helping plan or keep my schedule under control...  They won't give a time until the night before, they told us we'd be there three hours (so I budgeted my pain meds accordingly, not bringing extra doses), but 3 hours really meant 7 hours! :(  Not so great for my body or pain management but I decided to tough it out and stay anyway. It was Mom's first treatment, an unknown, embarking on a scary time for her and she needed someone to be there. Nobody was around to relieve me, so I stayed. I wanted to stay to be with my mom, I just had wanted to schedule better or have someone else with us.  It's definitely a long day for me. I got 1 hour of sleep last night, so combine that with my body in general and missing the time I'd normally take my second dose of meds and it's a bit problematic. For instance, if she needs a prescription tonight, I have no idea how I'm getting it...  If I take additional meds, I don't drive... If I keep putting off taking meds and push through, the pain gets worse which also makes it hard to function, as well as making the pain harder to get under control later. 



Today is about her, but my blog gets to be about me, which helps. The first chemo treatment seemed to go as well as it could, I guess. They keep throwing more information at us constantly and I wish they would just tell us everything we need to know right up front so we can plan. Hard for sick me to take care of sick Mom and sick me...  I definitely wish people lived closer, but I will definitely do what I need to do. I just hope the end of Mom's cancer treatment doesn't mean worse symptoms for me...  Every time I feel like I'm getting close to something good, there's something major that's bad and out of my control. So annoying! ;)

Hopefully I'll keep blogging, I know it's a good outlet for me, but overwhelming emotions definitely make it harder!





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! So good you could be there for your mom! SK

    ReplyDelete