Friday, April 25, 2014

Endometriosis: A Key to Healing Through Nutrition

(buy this book!)

I recently got a book from Amazon (here is the link) entitled Endometriosis: A Key to Healing Through Nutrition, written by Dian Shepperson Mills & Michael Vernon.  I had decided to look into nutrition, so this seemed like a good purchase for me.  I was expecting lots of recipes, in-depth diet tips, etc.  I have to say, it is not exactly what I had been expecting (there are some recipes), but I think it's a great book nonetheless.

If I were just beginning with endometriosis, this would be a book I would want to read.  It provides a solid basis of understanding to a lot of the early questions that I had.  It is written a lot like a textbook and I was impressed with the depth the book was able to go into while still covering the scope of the disease.  There are also helpful chapter summaries that will give you the important points covered in the chapter.  I have already used quite a lot of post-its on my copy!


It also does give information on supplements, recipes, and, more importantly, the reasons why women with endometriosis want to take those supplements or why we should use those recipes.  I feel like I have a solid understanding of my own disease, but I was still able to learn from this book and it would have been outstanding to have found when I was just beginning.  It talks about causes, pain, understanding, options, surgeries, nutrition, and many others and I think it is presented in an easy to read format, without dumbing down any of the information.  I think each woman who reads this will be able to get different important information from it depending upon where she is with her disease.  When just starting out, you may learn a broad variety of things which you may come back to when you are later looking for more specific information. 

So while I got something a bit unexpected, I think the real thing is even better.  I recommend this book to any woman with endometriosis, whether just beginning or as a reference to those of us who may just be looking for a deeper knowledge.  I would also recommend it to doctors' offices or loved ones/friends who are looking to understand more about this disease.  I was very impressed with both the knowledge the authors display and the compassion with which they write.

I found my copy on Amazon and it took 2 weeks to receive because it was not in stock.  I am very glad I didn't let that stop me from ordering it anyway.  Again, here is the link to the book at: Amazon.com.  I do not know the availability of it in stores or on other websites so I'm just telling you how I came upon it.  I am quite glad I did!  I am also comforted by the fact that this book exists.  The authors did a good job of summing up a complicated disease into one book, while I also found myself with some questions as I read it that led me to look into some things deeper.  I highly recommend it, without reservations!  

No comments:

Post a Comment