Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Spoon Theory


A CHALLENGE FOR MY READERS:
I can take absolutely no credit for the link I'm going to share.  I came across the idea on a fellow endometriosis sufferer's website and it led me to this website.  The author of the article does not have endometriosis.  She does, however, have lupus, which is another chronic disease.  Her analogy hit home for me very strongly.  
If you read this, I am asking you and challenging you to read the full text below, then to take 5 or 10 minutes and think about it.  
For those of you who know me, I'd love if you would think about it and how it applies to every one of my days.  But if not, I can't imagine you not coming away with some empathy for those who do suffer from a chronic disease.

Here is the link to a PDF version of The Spoon Theory: The Spoon Theory
If the link doesn't work, here is the website: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/BYDLS-TheSpoonTheory.pdf

And if you don't like PDFs, or for info on the author herself, here is the original website: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing... Do you think it is possible to get more spoons through proper diet, exercise, good deeds, mindfulness, etc...?

    We talk alot about this at the hospital... this is a short article I thought related to your blog from and MS website. Let me know what you think! SK

    http://www.everydayhealth.com/multiple-sclerosis/7-ways-to-fight-ms-fatigue.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an awesome question. I would think it definitely depends on the disease, first of all. For me, lowering my pain level would increase the amount of spoons. If my pain level is high, I would say no, none of those things would increase my spoons, although I have learned how to not focus on pain. If my pain level is under control, then yes... exercise, proper sleep, possibly diet and supplements.... could all raise my spoons. I will read that article and get back to you :) Love you.

      Delete
  2. What a great new way to view this. Definitely provides a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete