Wednesday, January 29, 2014

En-Doe-Mee-Tree-Oh-Sis



Yep, I have a crappy disease/sickness/whatever that is called "endometriosis."  It's a crappy disease already, so why does it need such a crappy name??  It's just a word that does not suggest anything positive.  It's also clunky to keep saying.  It's awkward and hard for other people to remember.  And even if someone does not know what it is, any high school graduate can guess it has to do with reproductive organs and right away that can shut some conversations down.  Especially with men who don't understand the whole menstrual cycle thing already.  And for a disease that needs to be more well-known, well this is not helping our cause.  I think most well-known diseases have better, catchier names: Ebola, Cancer, Bird Flu.  

I think it needs another name.  Even when I write about it, I find myself using pronouns or not wanting to type out "endometriosis."  It is just plain awkward.  It even makes sentences feel awkward.  Too many syllables, first of all.  Can't we get something like... Pain-cer or Hurts-all-the-time-osis...?  More fitting at least.  Or... You've-never-heard-of-me-but-I'm-gonna-make-your-life-hell-acitis?

What do you think?  Anyone have any ideas for a better name?  Something that's not so clunky to type or doesn't feel as ridiculous to say?  Something I can type in my posts so I don't even need to THINK about fitting "endometriosis" into sentences?  Or something fun... like... "rainbow-killer?" 
;-)

I am taking suggestions.  

3 comments:

  1. How about just Endo? That would be easier to type and people could still understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about just Endo? That would be easier to type and people could still understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've seen that written in a bunch of places... I guess I haven't gotten it into my head yet. Plus it's just still not fun!

    ReplyDelete