Friday, January 17, 2014

Causes

So... what is endometriosis?  Endometriosis is a gynecological condition in which cells from the lining of the uterus (endometrium) appear and flourish outside the uterine cavity.  I think more than that will best be answered as I go along, but you can get some basic information from Wikipedia here if you would like. I noticed a couple of things in that Wiki article that my surgeon contradicted but it's a basic overview. 

Along the way, many people I know have asked "how I got" endometriosis.  Essentially, that question is asking for the underlying cause.  Unfortunately, there is no good answer other than being the unlucky one or perhaps a "perfect storm" of circumstances.  Endometriosis is only 6% genetic, so that likely lets my parents off the hook.  It is also possibly has an auto-immune component but I haven't learned enough about that to discuss it.  It is on my list to ask my doctor about at my next visit.



While there is no known cause or reason why it happens to certain people, one of the biggest correlating factors is "dysmenorrhea" or menstrual pain that interferes with daily activities.  I know that hindsight is 20/20, but this is the subject that I think irritates me the most.  I definitely had dysmenorrhea, I just didn't know that it was abnormal because it was all I had known.  To me, the first day of my period caused debilitating pain.  My pain would have me lying on the floor  or curled up in a fetal position, trying to find the least uncomfortable position I could and trying to think about anything other than the pain.  It would grow until it wrapped all around to my back.  I could not drive, sometimes missed class, sometimes missed work, although I never missed volleyball practice.  It wasn't an acceptable reason to miss practice and while I was not feeling good, exercise did sometimes help.  It took my mind off of the pain and let me focus on other things while releasing some endorphins.  That is one difference between my menstrual pain and the pain from endometriosis.  No activity relieved the pain from the endometriosis.

Anyway, during this time (until I was 29 years old) I managed monthly pain by taking 16-20 Advil/Aleve.  I told my doctor at the time and she said that as long as I was only taking that much one day a month, it was fine.  (GRR).  Turns out, it is NOT fine.  My current OB/GYN (who I will call Dr. K) does not agree with that at all.  That much ibuprofen can cause liver and kidney damage and is a symptom that something else may be going on.  When I got a check-up, I would always say that I thought my pain during my period was worse than most people's because it seemed to keep me from class/work/practice and I saw many women all around me who seemed to have no trouble going about their lives one day each month but pain is subjective and the best answer I got was PRESCRIPTION ibuprofen.  YAY!  (Sarcasm intended)

Aside from the dysmenorrhea, sometimes there can be an event or cause that triggers the endometriosis.  How and why this trigger can occur is too scientific for me.  In my case, I've been told it is possible that when I was in a car accident a year before my symptoms started, that could have jarred my body internally and set things in motion.  It could also have had nothing to do with it.  

From what I understand, age is not a factor in who gets endometriosis but menstruating women of child-bearing age are the most likely... and yes, I realize that encompasses a lot of people!  The likeliness is higher as women age because the endometrial tissue has more time to accumulate in your body.  I actually just read on a site that girls can have endometriosis and the accompanying pain before they begin menstruating.  That would suck.

Stress can be factor, as with most illnesses/problems with the human body.  I never felt like an overly stressed-out person, but I was probably the most tired and most stressed that November, when symptoms first presented.  It was the end of the volleyball season, so I was working 12 hour days, and the atmosphere where I was coaching was just beyond frustrating and very negative, although I absolutely loved the players and the "pure" coaching aspects.  

And finally, I had a kidney infection that began with a stabbing back pain that I was treated for but I have been in pain (a different kind) ever since.  I don't know if that was a "trigger" or a precursor or just a coincidence.  But that kidney infection is what ultimately I connect with the beginning of this crappy adventure, or more specifically, agonizing pain.  

So when I first went to the doctor, it felt to me like I was having pain from menstrual cramps that never went away.  After lasting for more than two days, I saw my GP... but that is the beginning of another post.

2 comments:

  1. A great start and some good details. I plan to follow your blog. SR

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great start and some good details. I plan to follow your blog. SR

    ReplyDelete