Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day


I feel like Memorial Day is a good time to pause and NOT write about myself.  No matter how I feel today, it is better than anyone who lost his or her life in the midst of war.  This holiday was originally recognized in the United States to remember the fallen soldiers of the Civil War.  It was also originally called Decoration Day as it became tradition to put flowers (traditionally poppies) on the graves of fallen soldiers.  After World War I, other fallen soldiers were included as well, and Memorial Day is a recognized Federal Holiday.  Flags are lowered to half-staff until Noon to remember the fallen soldiers and then raised to full-staff by the living to remember to fight for liberty and justice.  I actually just read today that for a few years now, there is a nationally recognized moment of silence at 3pm today, though I don't know what time zone.  Probably Eastern Standard Time since that is where the Capital is?

Informally, many people also recognize Memorial Day Weekend as the start of Summer (which does not actually occur in May).  I don't think there is anything wrong with gathering with families on this day, as the typical barbecue has become standard fare, instead it seems like a living tribute.  If a family has a loved one who has died in a war, being together as a family and remember him or her seems like a good thing to me.  Today is a time to remember men and women who were lost fighting for civil rights, independence, stopping Hitler, and fighting terrorists.  No matter what your beliefs are about war and various countries, it cannot be denied that these people should be remembered.  My dad served as a Marine, and I consider myself lucky to NOT have to "remember" him today because he is still alive and well but I know my family would not be as strong as it is today if we had lost him.  I'm sorry for those families who do have to endure a lost loved one.  
Enjoy your day today.  I hope your are with your family.  My sister is home for the weekend and helping my mom and me and that is always wonderful, and always too short.    


No comments:

Post a Comment