Wednesday, January 21, 2015

February 17... It Begins!


Today was my doctor's appointment, after which I said I would update people on my status... so here we go.  I start my Lupron injections on February 17!  I don't know a whole lot after that, but after the past year, the side effects don't seem very bad to me and for what would help my body, the effects may actually end up being positive.  


(no idea if that is what my actual label will look like)

For 2-3 weeks after the initial shot there may be a flare-up of pain.  My doctor explained exactly why to me in scientific terms and it made total sense, but I can't remember exactly what she said.  It had something to do with stimulating a certain hormone when it starts and then eventually it actually prevents that hormone from firing (?).  I always like when she explains things and yet for some of the more advanced biology answers I do not always remember everything.  For what concerns me, there could be an initial flare-up in pain.

Also, Lupron is not a quick fix, although we both are hopeful that it will be a fix.  For one, I learned that the hormones in my system from the Depo shots that I have been getting can last up to a year in the body, especially since I have been getting the shots more often than the "standard" dosage.  The good news is that since I have been getting them regularly, my estrogen levels are lower than a normal person so the shift to even lower levels will not be as drastic.  (I believe she said also that right now I have high progesterone levels, but those will decrease with the Lupron).  


(Estrogen and Progesterone levels in a normal, ovulating female - Not me, but just for reference)

Three weeks after I get my first injection, I see the doctor again and she will decide if I need any hormone replacement therapy to supplement the Lupron and get a grasp of my symptoms/side effects, etc.  The actual Lupron injections are every three (3) months.  The side-effects are most closely related to Menopause, but some people have a problem sleeping at all, which I had not known.  Hot flashes are common, and other than that, we will just see what happens.  I will not be adjusting other medications for a while after the Lupron starts and while the initial flare-up pain won't last, overall pain may not decrease for three months.  Even at that time, if I'm feeling better, I will likely still continue to feel better for while and then eventually things will even out and we can assess how I am.  


(Basically, this could be me... without the pained expression... There are totally worse things!)

I still feel really good about doing this.  It's a little frustrating that because my body is being flooded with hormones and they don't just change overnight (think of pregnancy hormones and how they decrease gradually after giving birth), it will take some time to see how I will finally feel.  Now that I've said that though, I'm not going to worry or think about it because that's the thing I cannot change.  I'm making a big change and I feel calm and even a little excited to try this and hopeful that it will work.  And while it won't be overnight, I'll still feel better slowly, which sounds great AND I will not be dealing with all the side effects of the Depo shot anymore! (Hallelujah!!)  That part I am super excited about!  Also, I should be able to exercise more regularly and be able to do more and more activities as the time passes... which is my ultimate goal: to be able to do everything I used to be able to do.  I don't know if that's going to be the final outcome, but until proven otherwise, it continues to be my goal.



And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is all I know right now!  I look ahead at 2015 with much more excitement than past years and I'm still hopeful that this will be a really good thing for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment