Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Adventures of Living With Endometriosis and the Absolutely Pointless Visit to the ER

Gee... I have no idea why people with endometriosis get so frustrated...




I visited the ER on Tuesday when I woke up in the night with very intense pain that either was stemming from, or radiating toward, my lower back so that my back was very painful.  I had already taken the maximum of my pain meds and all of the other night-time medications and it was very intense and apparently not helped by the medications.  When I awoke, I felt a bit better, but in the afternoon/evening I felt the back pain returning, this time higher up in my back and on the right side (in the early morning I would have said pain in the middle of lower back and some  a little higher to the left).  I was also having trouble urinating... Straining just for a trickle when it felt like my bladder was full.  It was not as awful as when I had a kidney stone but the symptoms were new and not getting better so I figured I should get it looked at.  My visit was pointless.  I want to say it was beyond pointless, but I know that literally that doesn't make much sense.  But it was how I felt when I was done.  

I don't know that anyone (intake, PA, Dr, Nurse) paid any attention to what I was trying to tell them, very specifically, about what I was taking, my history, etc.  The intake person never asked the question I find annoying but that I know they are required to ask: What number is your pain?  Heck, the first nurse (who was surly and responded only in condescending quips) actually told me that I didn't look like I was in pain!  Yes, a medical professional. When I started a sentence to explain how long I have been experiencing pain and had developed coping skills, such as bringing a good book to the ER, she had no interest in listening and immediately started talking over me. I then got an ultrasound of kidneys and a pelvic ultrasound  and blood tests.  A new nurse came in and said it did not look like a kidney stone or UTI and that the doctor would discharge me.  (At this point I had seen the actual doctor for less than five minutes, which would end up being the sum total of my speaking with her, even when I requested her before I left. She never returned).  I asked the second nurse about what could be causing my symptoms and she said she didn't know.  They offered me 3 tylenol for my pain, which I declined.  (Anyone who looked at my chart should know I should not be taking any more acetaminophen (aka Tylenol) than I take daily).  I told them that the pain was not responding to my pain medication which is why I came to the ER (a sudden change in pain, both in intensity and type) so she had me take a percocet (not entirely sure why).  I thought maybe an IV at least would stop the pain and help get ahead of whatever this is, but they didn't do that.  I am not sure that the people I talked to knew what endometriosis was.  A couple of the people I dealt with were not sure why I go to an OB/GYN so often or why I would be having chronic pain.

The nurse informed me that neurontin was not made for treating endometriosis, so she was not very helpful.  I tried to explain why I was taking it and why I came in but I don't know that anyone cared to listen.  Very disappointing.  So I know now that I probably do not have a kidney stone and probably do not have an infection, but no further tests were done beyond the blood/urine/ultrasound.  I don't know if they figured I was wanting more pain meds or something but I haven't been to a hospital in over a year and a half, so I don't know how that would make sense.  No doctor examined for any pulled muscles, though I am not sure what muscle pull would change position.  It doesn't feel like a pulled muscle.  Also, a pelvic ultrasound for someone with endometriosis or chronic pelvic pain can be extremely painful, so normally a hospital would administer some sort of pain killer before doing that and would do it when it was absolutely necessary.  Turns out it was not absolutely necessary and it did make my pain worse, so I left the hospital feeling a fair amount worse than when I went in.

image.jpeg  
(my actual arm after having blood drawn)


As I said, I was concerned because none of this feels like the pain I am used to.  And I have no idea how I could have pulled a muscle while I was resting.  My discharge paper read that I should return if there are any changes in intensity or location of pain (THE EXACT REASON I DECIDED TO RISK GOING TO THE ER IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!)  I went in the evening and I'm wondering if the good doctors all work during the day.  I wrote an email the next day and sent it to the hospital 's board about my experience.  I would love for it to change something, but I accept it likely will not.  But had I gone to this ER when I was trying to figure out what was going on and all I knew was I had incredible pain, I  would have come home and probably overdosed on Advil or Aleve or something because I would not have known what to do.  I wanted to write to someone who could hopefully help a person with chronic pain have a better experience or someone with endometriosis have a doctor with actual knowledge of endometriosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment